Monday, September 28, 2015

Autobiography

Hans Humberto Oviedo Gómez
Reflective Teaching Course
M. A. Edgar Alirio Insuasty
Neiva, September 30th, 2015
My Professional Autobiography
I would like to start my writing by saying my mother and my nearest aunty are teachers. These two important people in my life have marked and shaped the conception I had about teaching and about being one of them. Since my very beginning years I was learning from excellent teachers who taught me not only knowledge, but also experiences and values. When I was around 4 years old I started my First Grade and one of the things my mother was proud about was that I was really good at reading and writing. Then when I was in Third Grade I was the best in my course and I was promoted from 3rd to 4th grade. The curious thing in this fast advance, was the fact that I did an English Exam to be promoted, I did it and I approved it! :) this was one of my first direct contacts with English.

Throughout the past of the years my mother and I realized the importance of taking some extra classes. But, what kind of extra activities should I have to do? Well, I learnt many things from different fields. I was attending piano, guitar and trumpet classes in terms of music. I used to do some familiar presentations and public ones in the schools where I studied. I was the musician in the family every Christmas. Regarding sports, I was also attending soccer classes and I had the opportunity to travel around the country with my team many times. I also learnt how to play chess, I was really good at this strategic game, fortunately I got a gold medal in Florencia and a bronze one in the departmental games. Meanwhile, I was also attending to different courses to improve my English. Something that marked my childhood was that my aunty Zonia was an English teacher, in vacations she used to teach all our family some basic knowledge about this interesting language. During these years in which I was a student I realized the importance of teachers, but good teachers, to determine successful learners.
Then I was moved to a private school where I finished my Elementary studies. I graduated from 11th grade at Colegio Domingo Savio, this school was specialized in English. I remember, during the afternoons I used to go to the school with the people who had weaknesses to improved, but in my case I went to learn about more topics because I thought in the mornings English classes were not enough.
When I was 14 years old I graduated from high-school. I wanted to study in Bogota, but as I was too young my mother thought it was better for me to stay here. I studied “Licenciatura en Inglés” and “Administración de Empresas”. In 2011 I graduated from both careers and I continued with a specialization named “Especialización en Gerencia Estratégica de Mercadeo” (2012).
At the beginning I did not want to be a teacher but opportunities were coming one by one and I started to love this profession. As fast as I finished my careers I entered to work to the university, Universidad de la Amazonia, in the Idioms Center. I had the opportunity to teach Basic English Courses to university students about to graduate and who needed to have an English course certification. I started thinking about this profession seriously, I liked the way I taught and I liked the comments my students made upon my way of teaching. In this sense I started to be in the track of English Teaching rather than Business Management. Then, I started to work at some schools and finally as an English teacher for the Language Teaching Program at this university.
These experiences, since my childhood, have given me the support to say I love this profession and I want to continue working in this field. Teaching is the best way to build human beings, and that is my principal desire and proposal in my life. I want to contribute in at least a small portion of a better future for this and the coming childhoods. 

6 comments:

  1. Dear Hans,
    I like your 3000 thousand words biography, I guess you omitted some details. I found really interesting that your aunt and mom motivated you to become a teacher. They should be excellent teachers. I hope you keep working hard to achieve your goals.

    PS. Hope we can form a band someday (I play the drums)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Beto,

    Thanks for commenting on my entry. Of course, I would be grateful to join a band with you. I will play the guitar or the bass :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hans,I think your autobiography shows the strong influence that the family have on the children and having that support from them is the basis to get a human being with values. I also think is great that you fall in love with teaching because in these sense you feel motivated to improve everyday for the benefit of your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Leidy,

      Thanks for commenting on my Blog. Of course, in my case, my family is the basis for being what I am.

      Delete
  4. Hi there!
    I really like the manner in which you speak about the support that your family has provides during your academic life. Besides, the fact of falling in love with teaching is a plus for helping out kids and teens becoming proficient in English. All teachers should be pleased and in love with teaching. Nice entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sergio.

      Thanks for commenting on my Blog. I agree with you in the fact that teaching is a beautiful experience to shape and build good citizens.

      Delete